Monday, September 15, 2014

September 15th: Work

Today was independence day here in El Salvador. I don't know what I was expecting, I guess I thought there would be a party of some sorts like 4th of July but reality fell short of my expectations. Instead of going to some extravagant festival, I went to work with Luis Edwardo. He works for a company that is like a Best Buy/furniture store mix. He goes around to all the different stores in E.S and makes sure they are up to par. We only went to 3 stores but it took us from 10am-3pm. The first two stores were standalone and I just found the most comfortable chair and sat down and read while Luis talked to the manager. The third store was in a mall so before going inside, we went to get some lunch at a restaurant that resembled a Denny's diner.I had the only thing on the menu that was vegetarian friendly:mozzarella sticks. Some of them were mysteriously lacking cheese but I kept eating them because I was hungry and didn't want to wait for more. Finally when we were finished eating, we went to the last store. The manager was insanely nice and so I stayed with Luis Edwardo and talked with them instead of reading. Near the end of our visit, we walked around and found ourselves each sitting on a different piece of furniture from a matching set. Me on a chair, Luis on the couch and Lizabeth (the manager) on the love seat, all hugging a pillow. We got into a heated discussion about movies. It started with super hero movies, then I smoothly guided it towards Harry Potter. I talked about how the movies missed so many key points that JK snuck into the books and they listened intently. Then we talked about the matrix, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. Finally the time came to say our good byes (Not before I was offered a job for black friday) and we left the mall. On the way home, we stopped at a grocery store to pick up a few things and upon my request, we went to La Neveria so I could snuff out my ice cream craving. Once home, I cranked out a few hours of school, ate mac and cheese, showed Ari the wonders of slinkies and stairs and I plan on going to bed early so I'm well rested for my first Chinese lesson tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment