Wednesday, September 3, 2014

September 3rd: The Plane Ride There

I didn't sleep much last night. Meg and Abbie came over and helped me pack then I brought Meg home and took Abbie out to diner at the Village Inn. Upon returning to my place, we finished packing and then she had to go. Saying goodbye to my best friend was unbelievable hard. We prolonged it as long as possible until she really had to go home so she could get at least some sleep before school. The moment her car was out of sight, I burst into uncontrollable sobs. I thought I was making a big mistake leaving my family and friends and everything I knew and learned to love in my Minnesota Life for a new temporary home 3,000 miles away. I curled up in a ball on my couch and thought about what I was doing. After some time with my thoughts, I pulled myself together when I remembered what made me want to do this crazy adventure; so I could start my dream exploring the world. I want to go everywhere, see everything and I have to start somewhere so why not start by spending 4 months abroad? I went down to my bedroom , put the final touches on my packing job, moved my bags upstairs and took a 1 hour nap. At 3am, my mom came into my room to wake me up. I was not rejuvenated by my short rest like I hoped. I grabbed some leftover things, changed the kitty litter and got into the car to begin my adventure. 
The car ride was just like any other. We arrived at the airport intime for me to get out of the car, say goodbye to mi madrepardre, have my papasito help me get checked in and next thing I knew I was through security and headed towards my gate. First I had a flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta and had an hour layover there. I sat at my gate next to a guy who enjoyed the stereotypical hispanic music with maracas and all and didn't believe in headphones. Everyone was speaking spanish around me and though I could pick up bits and pieces, I was nowhere near as good as I had hoped. Spanish classes are nothing like the real deal. The plane started loading and this is when I decided I wanted some coffee but it was too late to get any. Once everyone was in their seat (it took me a few embarrassing tries to finally get to the right spot) and the plane started moving, the guy next to me fell into a deep slumber, snores and all. When we were finally in the air, I decided to watch 'Neighbors' and 'The Other Women' which were both spectacular and before I knew it, the plane was touching the ground. 
I had an uneventful experience as I went through migration and customs. When I finally got my bag, and I was legally in the country, I walked out and choked on the hot humid air. I easily found Luis Edwardo, and soon we were heading off to pick up Ariella in his work truck. It was slightly terrifying because they drive like lunatics and his truck was a stick shift and kept rolling backwards every time we stopped. We made it to Gymboree in a jiffy, making small talk the whole way there. As we walked in to get Ariella, a piercing cry filled the building. Ariella had just run into a door and soon emerged with a newly formed purple bump on her forehead. She was the cutest little curly brown haired girl I had ever seen. She ran up to us and we said she was hungry for chicken so we went to wendys to get her and Luis Edwardo dinner then we went to a salad shoppe to get my dinner. The rest of the day was spent at Luis Edwardos dads house with Tía Te while L.E. went to work. Auriella was a nonstop shooting stream of energy the whole time. After exploring the whole house with her (Including the roof) we settled down and watched some cartoons. 
Around 7, Nine came to pick us up. Timing was perfect as Ariella was just starting to get crabby. We drove home, I found out I was sharing a room with the terrific two year old and after a few FaceTimes, I fell into a well deserved deep sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment