Monday, September 8, 2014

September 8th: The one with all the cooking

Today was so relaxing, I stayed home and cooked like a 1950's housewife. For breakfast, Estelita and I made pupusas, a traditional El Salvadorenian meal (homemade tortillas filled with cheese, beans, meat or anything you want). it was so nice to make them and Eatelita was a pro because she used to work at a pupuseria. she taught me all the good techniques so they don't turn out as squares as mine have a tendency to do.
 Next I went for a run. I got to use my new tennis shoes which are super compfertable. I ran up a hill and couldn't breathe for the next 2 minutes. Needless to say I'm not much of a runner and my asthma doesn't help. I ended up running for a song walking for a song all over the neighborhood (getting completely and miserably lost) until I found my way back home after 15 minutes of torture. 
 
Upon my return, Estelita was ready for me to teach her how to make a smoothie. We added frozen bananas, papayas, strawberries and apple juice. it was super good and Estelita loved it! 
For lunch, we made a lasagna with vegetables instead of pasta. Estelita boiled guisquil, pipian, carrots and potatoes then cut them up and we used those to make layers, in between the layers we put 3 types of cheese (Motzerella, quesillo, and a type of quesillo with chili). We put it in the over and 10 minutes later we had a veggi lasagna that filled me up like crazy. We paired it with a rice salad which was served cold (Thank god because it felt like 100 degrees today)
Later in the day we had a snack of homade tortillas. Estelita and I were in the kitchen and she was giving me more lessons on how to make them look their best. Ari ate hers with a cheese spread and I ate mine with penut butter. Next Nines mom and I made Banana Pie. We made the crust and she taught me the words for things like yolk, crust, filling and pie. the filling was bananas, sugar, cinnamon and some flour so it was less liquidy. We put that baby in the oven and in under an hour we had this master piece. 
As for dinner we are making that right now. Beans, fried plantains, corn and tortillas a typical meal in my little paradise. 

1 comment:

  1. Please change the background or the font. It's really hard to read it! I'm glad you're having fun!! Give my love to everyone! I love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete